Tips for maintaining healthy eyes and vision with diabetes
- Aim to keep both your blood sugar levels and your blood pressure under control.
- Complete a comprehensive eye exam with dilation by ophthalmologist or optometrist every 1-2 years or as advised by your eye professional. Blood sugar levels may need to be elevated for about 5 years to cause diabetic retinal disease.
- Type 1 Diabetes: initial eye exam within 5 years after diagnosis.
- Type 2 Diabetes: initial eye exam shortly after diagnosis.
- Eat to stay healthy.
- Avoid smoking tobacco.
- Exercise (discuss with your doctor first).