About Virtual Visits
A virtual visit allows you the ability to visit with your provider from the comfort of your home or office using your smartphone, tablet or computer. This is currently a limited-service, offered at this time only to primary care patients of our CSU, Horsetooth and Foxtrail office physicians. We have plans of expanding this service to providers at other AFM clinic locations in the future.
How to Get Started
In order to participate in a virtual visit, you must meet this set of requirements:
- You are physically located in the state of Colorado
- You are 18 years or older, or have a legal guardian present during the virtual visit
- You have a My Health Connection account
- You have access to the necessary equipment: a smartphone, or a tablet or laptop with a working camera,
- microphone and speakers, as well as access to a strong internet or WiFi connection
To use the virtual visit service, some basic equipment is needed:
- a smartphone (recommended)
- a tablet with a working camera, microphone and speaker
- a laptop with a working camera, microphone and speaker
We will bill to insurance as normal. Many plans will cover some or all of the cost for telehealth and virtual visits and you will then be billed according to your plan. Contact your insurance for details about virtual visit coverage. If your insurance does not provide coverage for your virtual visit, we will bill you a $50 flat rate for the virtual visit.
At this time, we are unable to offer virtual visits to patients with Medicare or Medicaid.
Locations Offering Virtual Visits
A Virtual Visit: Step By Step
- Two days before your scheduled virtual visit, you will receive a reminder notification of your appointment.
- Log into My Health Connection (through the UCHealth app or a web browser) and complete E check-in. During the E check-in process, you will be asked to confirm your demographic information, as well as update some brief medical information. You will also complete the telehealth consent form and any other questionnaires that your provider has requested.
- When the time of your scheduled appointment arrives, you will log into your My Health Connection account. Select your appointment and click ‘Begin visit.’
- You will then be entered into the virtual room. A member of our clinical staff will enter the room as well to ensure that the video and sound quality is functioning properly and confirm your updated medical information.
- Then, just like you would during an office visit, you will wait in the virtual room until your provider enters the room shortly thereafter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly asked questions about AFM virtual visits
closed (Makes tabs closed by default)
How do I schedule a virtual visit?
If you are interested in a virtual visit, you will need to call your AFM office to determine if your provider offers this service (or visit their provider page and look under their services tab). Our staff will then ensure that you meet the technical and clinical requirements for an appropriate virtual visit.
What can I be seen for with a virtual visit?
To start, our providers will be utilizing virtual visits for follow-up type visits that do not require a physical exam. In some instances, your provider may request a lab test or sample in which you would need to come in for a brief time with a nurse or phlebotomist following the visit.
What browser works best for a virtual visit?
We recommend using Chrome if you are using a laptop to complete your virtual visit.
Is my computer or phone better for a virtual visit?
You may use your smartphone, a tablet or a laptop for a virtual visit. We recommend using your smartphone through the UCHealth (My Health Connection) app for the best experience.
What browser/app should I use if I use my phone?
If you are using your phone, you must use the UCHealth app for complete your virtual visit.
How can I sign up for a My Health Connection account?
You may register for a My Health Connection account here.
Is my medical information secure?
Yes. Your virtual visit is HIPAA compliant, therefore all personal health information you share is secure and protected.
I don't have insurance. Can I still use the virtual visit service?
Yes! We will bill you a flat rate of $50 for a virtual visit.
What do I do if I have technical issues during my virtual visit?
If you have technical issues during your virtual visit, you may use the chat option in the virtual room to communicate that with your provider. We will also call you should we lose connection or if we’re unable to hear/see you to assist you in troubleshooting.
Can my child have a virtual visit with their provider?
Yes. However, a legal guardian is required to be present during the visit. The child will also need to have their own My Health Connection account in order to have a virtual visit.
What if I need to cancel my appointment?
If you need to cancel your appointment, you will need to call your provider’s office. We request you cancel any appointment no less than 24 hours in advance.
Can I schedule a virtual visit on My Health Connection?
You cannot schedule a virtual visit with an AFM provider through My Health Connection. You must call or speak with your provider in the clinic to schedule.